Thursday 21 April 2011

Kindred Spirits

A Kindred Spirit, by definition, is someone who shares beliefs, attitudes, and feelings with another [person]. For some people, Kindred Spirits can also be animals, such as is revealed in the book, Kindred Spirits: how the remarkable bond between humans and animals can change the way we live, by Dr. Allen M. Schoen, DVM. In this book, the word kindred is used to describe the similarities between humans and animals, their shared kinship, spiritual and emotional connections. ( I personally feel great kindred connections to all of the animals in my life).

I know that reading Anne of Green Gables inspired me to find Kindred Spirits in my own life. Anne Shirley made it sound so appealing and comforting to have one;

"A bosom friend--an intimate friend, you know--a really kindred spirit to whom I can confide my inmost soul.  I've dreamed of meeting her all my life.  I never really supposed
I would, but so many of my loveliest dreams have come true all at once that perhaps this one will, too.  Do you think it's possible?"

I am privileged to have (and had) Kindred Spirits in my life. I believe the most powerful of these "spirits" was my grandmother, who was affectionately known as Nana. We had a deep and meaningful connection, and at a very young age, I knew we shared a mutual respect and understanding that did not exist between anyone else I knew. With her, I experienced compassion, kindness, love, caring and an easy sharing of the good, the bad, and the ugly, without the fear of judgment or expectation.

As an Aries in the astrological world, some of my closest friends are also fellow Ariens, and we share the closeness of Kindred Spirits in our relationships. I feel comfortable around them, connect on several levels, share core values, and know I can count on them when I need help, a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on. We can joke freely and snort when we laugh, be seriously serious, share our thoughts and knowledge about exciting or boring topics, give opinions and advice, and be undying superheroes for each other when required.

Kindred Spirits may also be of the opposite sex, in romantic or non-romantic relationships; many people have claimed their spouses to be Kindred Spirits. A couple may meet that have both come from very bad previous relationship situations; a bond is then reached because they share an understanding of what the other has been through where they feel no one else truly understands.  Through this they become Kindred Spirits.
 
I am fortunate and very blessed to know Kindred Spirits that "get me" with my idiosyncrasies, quirks, and faults, and accept me just as I am. We are in sync with each other, trust each other implicitly, and are intensely committed to sharing our lives and the kindred spirit of love that we feel for each other. 


No comments:

Post a Comment